FC Porto sweat on the fitness of Super Eagles LB Sanusi ahead of O ClassicoPublished: April 06, 2023
FC Porto manager Sérgio Conceição is sweating on the fitness of Zaidu Sanusi ahead of his sdie's O Classico clash against Benfica at Estádio da Luz on Good Friday.
The left-back is rated as doubtful for the Primeira Liga game after suffering a muscle injury while on international duty with the Nigerian national team late last month.
Conceição could not count on the services of Sanusi for his side's meeting with Portimonense last weekend due to the ailment.
Porto released an update on the defender's fitness on Thursday, stating that he was receiving treatment as his teammates trained at the PortoGaia Training and Sports Training Centre, in Olival - the team's final workout before their trip to Lisbon.
Speaking at the pre-match press conference, Conceição admitted that he was unsure whether Sanusi would be available for selection against Benfica.
"Let's go until the last one, sincerely. Diogo Costa seems much better to me, as does Pepe, but Evanilson and Zaidu don't know. João Mário continues with some difficulty. I think Diogo Costa and Pepe will be able to go to the game," he was quoted as saying by Porto's official website.
If Sanusi does not receive the green light from Porto's medical team, Brazilian fullback Wendell is expected to be named in the starting lineup for the second straight game in the division.
The Nigerian has totaled 28 appearances in all competitions this season, including nineteen as a starter.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Peseiro's pre-match wish on Lookman comes true: Atalanta striker fires brace in 3-2 win against AC Milan
- FA Youth Cup: Nwaneri scores five goals to inspire Arsenal to 7-1 win against Crewe Alexandra
- Super Eagles watch: Ninth goal involvement for Ndidi; Dessers powerful strike; Ejuke gets his groove back
- 'It looks very nasty' - Michael Owen insists Onyeka was lucky to escape red card against Sheffield United
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football