Lampard explains decision for England U20 star Chukwuemeka to complete the season at ChelseaPublished: May 21, 2023
Chelsea's interim boss Frank Lampard has explained the rationale for Carney Chukwuemeka staying back at Chelsea instead of traveling with the England U20 squad for the 2023 FIFA U20 World Cup.
The Young Lions star for sure will not be available for selection when the 2017 world champions take on Tunisia, Uruguay and Iraq in the group stage of the World Cup.
Lampard has confirmed Chukwuemeka stayed back in England as he was needed to provide cover in midfield as a result of injuries to Mateo Kovacic and N'Golo Kante
There is a possibility that the 2022 European U19 champion will join his international teammates in Argentina if they progress to the knockout rounds of the U20 World Cup.
Chukwuemeka is expected to be named in Chelsea's matchday squad against Manchester City this afternoon, and he's also available for selection against Manchester United and then Newcastle United on the final day of the season.
The former Aston Villa wonderkid has been starved of playing opportunities since his move to Stamford Bridge, making only one start from a possible 47 in all competitions.
"He is a Chelsea player and we have injuries in that area, " said Lampard to Chelsea's official website.
"One of the situations with Carney is that he has come into a big club. It is a big move for him. This season he has only managed to get so many minutes because of the size of the squad and settling into a new club.
"Hopefully there are opportunities in these three games for him. He is our player and while we have lost players, we need him to stay. There is a possibility he can join up at the end of the season if England get through to the next stages.
"There might be the best of both worlds in an ideal way. We had to make that decision. I felt a bit for Carney as he was keen to go, but at the same time it has happened and he had to stay."
Chukwuemeka has not featured for Chelsea in the Premier League since coming off the bench for the last four minutes of a 2-2 draw against Everton on March 18.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Peseiro handed boost pre-Saudi Arabia as Fenerbahce defender returns to action
- Six games without scoring: Gent coach highlights Gift Orban's struggles in front of goal in recent weeks
- 'He's good but Osimhen is better' - Transfer insider urges Arsenal to prioritise signing of Nigerian over Toney
- Key stat shows dogged Tottenham left-back Udogie is the dirtiest player in the Premier League this season
- Iheanacho scores another penalty for table-topping Leicester; Montpellier's Adams at the double
- Super Eagles forwards Moses Simon, Terem Moffi crack Ligue 1 Team of the Month
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football