Portsmouth and Cambridge Utd go head-to-head in race to sign Arsenal striker of Nigerian descentPublished: August 29, 2023
Nathan Butler-Oyedeji is among the players of Nigerian descent that Arsenal are looking to move on, whether on loan or a permanent deal, before the close of the summer transfer window.
Goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo, fullback Ryan Alebiosu, midfielder Miguel Azeez and 2022 Nigeria U23 invitee Tim Akinola are also not in the plans of the coaching staff at least for the first half of the season, so a transfer is on the cards.
According to Football Insider, League One duo Portsmouth and Cambridge United are battling it out for the loan signing of Butler-Oyedeji.
Portsmouth and Cambridge United have made contact with the player's camp over the possibility of bringing him back to the League One.
The Hale End Academy product has experienced League One football before at Accrington Stanley, where he made eleven appearances in the division in the second half of the 2022-2023 campaign.
At 20 years of age, Butler-Oyedeji wants to play first team football again but Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta cannot offer him game time in the demanding Premier League and Champions League, so the versatile striker is open to leaving the Emirates Stadium on a temporary basis.
Butler-Oyedeji received two call-ups to the first team in 2023 prior to his loan move to Accrington Stanley but was not utilized off the bench by the Spanish football tactician in games with Newcastle United and Oxford United.
He has started three of the four matches contested by Arsenal's development squad in the new season and was on target in their season opener against West Ham United.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Shoretire battles Garnacho, Fernandes, 6 others for Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Iwobi's brilliant effort against favourite PL opponents nominated for Fulham Goal of the Month
- Victor Boniface: Juventus target Bundesliga star as possible replacement for Arsenal-linked striker Vlahovic
- Two teenagers of Nigerian descent promoted to Arsenal first team training pre-Wolves
- Dessers struggling to make an impact: Ex-Scotland star insists Rangers must sign a striker in January
- Blow to the jaw: Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Okonkwo to be assessed ahead of Wrexham v Yeovil Town
- Official: Chelsea confirm two talented midfielders have signed new deals
- Nottingham Forest's Goal of the Month award : Aina's first-time finish against Aston Villa nominated
- 101 Gunners goalscorers at the Emirates: Iwobi scored same number of goals as Arsenal legend Henry
- Watch: Gift Orban among four contenders for UEFA Europa Conference League Goal of the Week
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football