Chelsea make decision on the future of nephew of former Super Eagles defenderPublished: August 29, 2023
English Premier League giants Chelsea have reportedly made a decision on the future of Lesley Ugochukwu, who is the nephew of retired Nigeria international central defender Onyekachi Apam.
The France underage international joined Chelsea on a seven-year deal on August 1, which ended his association with boyhood club Rennes.
It was heavily speculated that Ugochukwu would be joining Chelsea-owned Strasbourg on loan for the entirety of the season but there is a new development, which, in truth, has not come as a surprise.
According to Sky Sports UK, Lesley Ugochukwu is expected to stay part of the first team squad, at least for the first half of the season.
Manager Mauricio Pochettino has decided to keep the talented midfielder in the first team after monitoring him at close quarters this month - and was impressed with what he saw.
There was every indication that the 2023 Golden Boy nominee was in the plans of the Argentine football tactician with the loan departure of Brazilian wonderkid Andrey Santos to Nottingham Forest.
Ugochukwu has been given minutes off the bench in two of the first three games played by Chelsea in the new season and he's seriously in contention to make his starting debut in tomorrow's Carabao Cup second round tie against AFC Wimbledon.
Enzo Fernández, Moisés Caicedo and Conor Gallagher are believed to be ahead of Ugochukwu in Pochettino's pecking order of central midfielders.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Peseiro's pre-match wish on Lookman comes true: Atalanta striker fires brace in 3-2 win against AC Milan
- FA Youth Cup: Nwaneri scores five goals to inspire Arsenal to 7-1 win against Crewe Alexandra
- Super Eagles watch: Ninth goal involvement for Ndidi; Dessers powerful strike; Ejuke gets his groove back
- 'It looks very nasty' - Michael Owen insists Onyeka was lucky to escape red card against Sheffield United
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football