'I should have won the man of the match' - Mikel reveals his best-ever game for ChelseaPublished: September 12, 2023
Retired Nigeria international John Obi Mikel believes that the best-ever performance he produced as a Chelsea player was against Bayern Munich in the Champions League final on May 19, 2012 at the Allianz Arena.
Mikel dominated a Bayern Munich midfield that had Toni Kroos and Bastian Schweinsteiger who were in their prime and Chelsea supporters, to this day, believe that he was Chelsea's best player over 120 minutes.
However, it was Didier Drogba and goalkeeper Petr Cech that grabbed the headlines as the Blues won the Champions League for the first time in their history, beating the German giants on penalties.
While Drogba netted the crucial late equalizer that took the game to extra time and eventually a shootout, Cech saved spot kicks from Ivica Olic and Bastian Schweinsteiger.
"My best-ever game, " Mikel said to Chelsea's official website
"I should have won the man of the match but Didier obviously came good and saved the day. I’ve watched that game a few times since...
"There's nothing better than this."
Mikel was back at Chelsea last weekend, helping them thrash Bayern Munich 4-0 in a Legends of Europe match played in memory of the late Gianluca Vialli.
Manchester United actually made the first move to sign Mikel after the central midfielder impressed their scouts at the UEFA-CAF Meridian Cup in Egypt, but Chelsea hijacked the move after paying compensation to the Red Devils and Lyn.
In a ten-and-a-half-year association with Chelsea, the former Super Eagles captain scored 6 goals in 372 matches.
Photo Credit: fcbayern.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Peseiro's pre-match wish on Lookman comes true: Atalanta striker fires brace in 3-2 win against AC Milan
- FA Youth Cup: Nwaneri scores five goals to inspire Arsenal to 7-1 win against Crewe Alexandra
- Super Eagles watch: Ninth goal involvement for Ndidi; Dessers powerful strike; Ejuke gets his groove back
- 'It looks very nasty' - Michael Owen insists Onyeka was lucky to escape red card against Sheffield United
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football