Worst goal drought of his career: Gent's Gift Orban no longer the most valuable player in Jupiler Pro LeaguePublished: October 23, 2023
KAA Gent center forward Gift Orban is no longer the most valuable player in Belgium's Jupiler Pro League after the latest update by transfer news and statistics website Transfermarkt on Monday, October 23.
Royal Antwerp's central midfielder Arthur Vermeeren has knocked Orban off top spot to become the most expensive player in the Belgian top flight.
While Vermeeren is rated at €25m, the 2023 Super Eagles invitee is joint-second most valuable player in the Jupiler Pro League along with cap-tied Norway international of Nigerian descent, Antonio Nusa.
Orban and Nusa who share the same Nigerian agent are valued at 20 million euros each.
Orban was valued at nine million euros in March 2023 but saw the number increase dramatically after an impressive start to life at KAA Gent with 20 goals in 22 appearances in the second half of last season.
However, the 21-year-old is now suffering the worst goal drought of his career having failed to find the back of the net in nine consecutive games comprising six in the Jupiler Pro League, two in the Europa Conference League qualifying rounds and one in the group stage of the Europa Conference League.
Orban's loss in form coincided with his failure to seal a transfer away from Gent in the summer transfer window after he was heavily linked with possible moves to Tottenham Hotspur and Lille.
Signed from Norwegian outfit Stabæk for a fee in the region of three million euros in January 2023, Orban is under contract at Gent until June 30, 2027.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football