'People think I played as a deep striker' - Ajax new star Akpom reveals what his best position really isPublished: November 12, 2023
Chuba Akpom has revealed the number ten role as his best position while reacting after scoring yet again for Ajax Amsterdam in the Eredivisie on Sunday afternoon.
The Arsenal academy product was on the scoresheet for the Dutch giants in their 2-2 draw with Almere City.
Having come on as a 67th-minute substitute for former Tottenham forward Steven Bergwijn, Akpom opened the scoring for Ajax a minute after his introduction when he powered a shot into the bottom left corner.
Speaking after the game, the former Middlesbrough forward has revealed that he loves playing the number ten role.
"Yes, I think so. I had the most success in that position last season. People think I played as a deep striker because I scored so much, but I played behind the striker all season. I'm flexible, so I can also play as number nine," Akpom was quoted as saying by Voetbal International.
"As long as I'm on the field. A club like Ajax has to win these kinds of matches, so it feels like a loss, but we have to take the positive things with us."
Capable of playing as a centre-forward, attacking midfielder and right-winger, Akpom got his senior career on track last season with Boro while playing behind the striker, scooping multiple end-of-the-season awards.
With his goal today, the Anglo-Nigerian forward has now netted 4 goals in the Eredivisie for Ajax and will be hoping to continue his rich vein of form after the international break.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football