UEL Qualifiers Wrap: Onuachu, Igboun, Azango, Ogu, Nwakaeme On TargetPublished: August 09, 2018
A round up of the Nigerian players that were on target for their respective clubs in the third qualifying round of the Europa League on Thursday, August 9.
At the Stadion Neftyanik (Ufa), Sylvester Igboun was involved for the entirety of Ufa's 2-1 win against Progrès Niederkorn. The Nigeria international opened the scoring in the 38th minute.
The most eye-catching individual display was from ex-Dream Team striker Paul Onuachu, who notched a brace as Midtjylland claimed a 2-0 win over The New Saints in Wales.
Onuachu gave the visitors a 1-0 lead on nine minutes, then doubled their advantage in the 27th minute, to take his tally to 10 goals in 27 European matches.
Over to the štadión Pod Dubňom (Žilina), Trencin recorded an impressive 4-0 win against Dutch powerhouse Feyenoord, with three young Nigerians in the shape of Reuben Yem, Abdul Zubairu and Philip Azango starting for the Slovak team.
Philip Azango netted for the home team a minute before half-time to give them a 3-0 lead.
Finally, John Ogu and Anthony Nwakaeme featured for 90 minutes as Hapoel Beer Sheva overturned a two-goal deficit to salvage a 2-2 draw against APOEL.
The Super Eagles midfielder started the fightback in the 42nd minute when he fired home a loose ball that fell kindly to him after a corner kick was not properly cleared, before a brilliant volley from Nwakaeme leveled the tie in the 70th minute.
Photo Credit : astrencin.sk
Football News 24/7
- Seven Flying Eagles Players Who Showed Promise In 2019 U20 AFCON
- Most Overpaid EPL Players Based On Minutes Played: Victor Moses, Okaka Make Top 10
- Two Players Of Nigerian Descent On Target For Man Utd U16 In 5-0 Rout Of FK Poprad
- Fifty Hottest Prospects In English Football: Chelsea's Anjorin, Arsenal's Saka, Norwich's Idah Make List
- Ex-Bayern Munich Striker Adeyemi Named Among Most Experienced Youngsters In Europe
- Nigerian Striker Celebrates New Contract With Goal & Assist For Arsenal U18s
- Leon Balogun Injury Nightmare Strikes Again Ahead Of Rohr's AFCONQ Squad Announcement
- Uzoho Invalid Medical Certificate : Super Eagles GK Suspended One Game; Fined N405,000
- Official : Junior Ajayi Extends Al Ahly Contract Until 2022
- Liverpool Post Scout To Watch Everton Loanee Henry, Nwakaeme In Turkish Super Lig Match
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football