Rotherham's Semi Ajayi Sets New Record With Brace Against Queens Park RangersPublished: March 14, 2019
Rotherham's Nigeria international, Semi Ajayi set a new personal record after netting a brace against Queen Park Rangers in their EFL Championship game on Wednesday, including a late winner which his club manager described as a special moment.
For the first time in his career, he has scored six goals in a single EFL season, beating the old mark of four goals set in 2018.
With 71 minutes played at the Loftus Road Stadium, Ajayi found the bottom left corner with a brilliant shot to open the scoring only for his compatriot, Bright Osayi-Samuel starring for the opposition to peg them back 16 minutes later.
But the Super Eagle will have the final say, settling the tensed encounter deep into added time when he connected with an Anthony Forde's floated cross to beat Rangers goalkeeper, Joe Lumley for the second time and hand his team all three points.
Ajayi's impressive displays have seen him pick up the Man of the Match awards in three of his last four outings.
Club manager Paul Wayne in his post-match reaction admitted that he was surprised at the manner in which the winner came from the Nigerian.
"It is pretty amazing to be honest. I won't underestimate how much it means to me, the dressing room and all the travelling fans who made a fantastic effort to come.
"For Fordey to put in a quality ball in like that, and for Semi to attack it, especially where our fans were, was a really special moment."
Ajayi will certainly not be lacking in suitors even though the Millers who are still embroiled in relegation battle (22nd place on the 24-team table) fail to beat the drop this season.
Football News 24/7
- Rohr Hints At Making Three Changes To Super Eagles Starting XI Vs Seychelles
- Okereke, Kingsley Michael, Orji Okonkwo Finally Report For Nigeria U23 Duty
- Kanu Backing Arsenal, Ajax To Beat Napoli, Juventus; Rubbishes Rift With Okocha
- All Present And Correct : 23 Super Eagles Players In Camp Ahead Of First Workout
- Rohr Reveals NPFL Stars Will Compete With Foreign-Based Pros For 2019 AFCON Spots
- The Five Super Eagles Players Who Have Not Reported For International Duty
- Three Reasons Why Ndidi Should Be Omitted From Eagles Match Day Squad Vs Seychelles
- Rohr Names One Player Who Is Certain To Make His Super Eagles Debut This Month
- Tammy Abraham Reveals The Club He Wants To Play For Next Season
- Mountain of Fire Young Star Akpudje Reacts To Nigeria U23 Call-Up
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football