Manchester City Striker Pledges International Future To Germany Ahead Of Nigeria, EnglandPublished: March 16, 2019
Manchester City-owned starlet Lukas Nmecha has ended speculation about his international future by accepting to play for Germany, the German Football Association (DFB) confirmed on Friday, March 15.
The 20-year-old, who is spending this season on loan at Preston North End, has received a call-up from Germany U21 manager Stefan Kuntz ahead of forthcoming matches against France and England.
Lukas Nmecha was among four players of Nigerian descent named to the24-man group, the others being Hertha BSC's Jordan Torunarigha, VfL Wolfsburg's Felix Uduokhai and Erzgebirge Aue's Emmanuel Iyoha.
The Hamburg-born Nmecha looks set to make his debut for Germany after previously featuring for England youth teams.
Joti Chatzialexiou, Sports Director National Teams disclosed that they have requested for a one-time change of association, meaning Nmecha would be tied to Germany for life if the request is granted by Fifa.
''Lukas Nmecha declared his interest to play for his country of birth, Germany, to us. We would like to fully support the player with this intention, '' Chatzialexiou told the official website of the DFB.
''Consequently, we sent an urgent appeal to FIFA regarding a switch in nationality so that he can play for Germany U21s.
''Regardless of whether this decision is approved or not, this international break provides Lukas with the opportunity to get to know his teammates.''
Lukas Nmecha had played competitive matches for England U17 and U19 National Teams in the past and will be hoping to make an impact for Germany ahead of this summer's U21 EURO.
Photo Credit : mancity.com
Football News 24/7
- Rohr Hints At Making Three Changes To Super Eagles Starting XI Vs Seychelles
- Okereke, Kingsley Michael, Orji Okonkwo Finally Report For Nigeria U23 Duty
- Kanu Backing Arsenal, Ajax To Beat Napoli, Juventus; Rubbishes Rift With Okocha
- All Present And Correct : 23 Super Eagles Players In Camp Ahead Of First Workout
- Rohr Reveals NPFL Stars Will Compete With Foreign-Based Pros For 2019 AFCON Spots
- The Five Super Eagles Players Who Have Not Reported For International Duty
- Three Reasons Why Ndidi Should Be Omitted From Eagles Match Day Squad Vs Seychelles
- Rohr Names One Player Who Is Certain To Make His Super Eagles Debut This Month
- Tammy Abraham Reveals The Club He Wants To Play For Next Season
- Mountain of Fire Young Star Akpudje Reacts To Nigeria U23 Call-Up
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football