Manchester City Striker Pledges International Future To Germany Ahead Of Nigeria, EnglandPublished: March 16, 2019
Manchester City-owned starlet Lukas Nmecha has ended speculation about his international future by accepting to play for Germany, the German Football Association (DFB) confirmed on Friday, March 15.
The 20-year-old, who is spending this season on loan at Preston North End, has received a call-up from Germany U21 manager Stefan Kuntz ahead of forthcoming matches against France and England.
Lukas Nmecha was among four players of Nigerian descent named to the24-man group, the others being Hertha BSC's Jordan Torunarigha, VfL Wolfsburg's Felix Uduokhai and Erzgebirge Aue's Emmanuel Iyoha.
The Hamburg-born Nmecha looks set to make his debut for Germany after previously featuring for England youth teams.
Joti Chatzialexiou, Sports Director National Teams disclosed that they have requested for a one-time change of association, meaning Nmecha would be tied to Germany for life if the request is granted by Fifa.
''Lukas Nmecha declared his interest to play for his country of birth, Germany, to us. We would like to fully support the player with this intention, '' Chatzialexiou told the official website of the DFB.
''Consequently, we sent an urgent appeal to FIFA regarding a switch in nationality so that he can play for Germany U21s.
''Regardless of whether this decision is approved or not, this international break provides Lukas with the opportunity to get to know his teammates.''
Lukas Nmecha had played competitive matches for England U17 and U19 National Teams in the past and will be hoping to make an impact for Germany ahead of this summer's U21 EURO.
Photo Credit : mancity.com
Football News 24/7
- Race For 'Nigerian Golden Shoe' : Osimhen Is The Man To Beat (Top Six Players)
- Rangers Working On Deal To Sign Liverpool Winger Of Nigerian Descent
- Lampard Link to Chelsea : One Player Who Stands to Benefit If Club Legend Replaces Sarri
- Inter Milan Interested In Signing Chelsea-Owned Winger Victor Moses
- U20 World Cup: Why Toronto FC's USA Star Akinola Will Not Face Flying Eagles May 27
- Afelokhai Hopes To Beat Ezenwa, Akpeyi, Uzoho To Super Eagles Number 1 Jersey
- Moses Responds To Question About His Fenerbahce Future Amid Chelsea Transfer Ban
- Iwobi Reveals He Wants Tottenham Hotspur To Lose To Liverpool In Champions League Final
- Nigeria-Eligible Attacker Nominated For Liverpool Player Of The Year - Women's Team
- Five Players Key To Nigeria’s Hopes of Glory at 2019 AFCON
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football