Bordeaux Coach Offers Two Explanations Why Samuel Kalu Withdrew From Nigeria SquadPublished: March 18, 2019
The sudden withdrawal of Bordeaux winger Samuel Kalu from the Super Eagles squad for the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Seychelles and international friendly with Egypt had raised a few eyebrows because he played for his club against Monaco on March 9.
And speculation that he withdrew from the Nigeria squad for no cogent reason was fueled when Bordeaux announced their 19-man roster for the Ligue 1 match vs Rennes without providing an explanation as to why he was omitted from the squad as it's usually the norm.
Super Eagles Media Officer Toyin Ibitoye informed allnigeriasoccer.com that Kalu was nursing an injury and Bordeaux coach Paulo Sousa confirmed as much in the post-match conference on Sunday, adding that the recent kidnap of the player's mother was the main reason for his omission vs Rennes.
Speaking to reporters, Sousa said : ''Kalu is suffering from a minor muscle contracture which prevented him from participating in the game.
''And most importantly, he has to take care of his mother (after the kidnapping episode). It's not easy for him. We'll see when he can come back.''
Kalu has earned five caps for Nigeria, scoring one goal, since he made his international debut in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Seychelles in September 2018.
Football News 24/7
- 2019 WWC : Nigeria Qualify For Round Of 16, Face Germany Saturday
- Nigeria's Most Expensive Player In History Combined Transfer Fees, Ideye Joins Aris Thessaloniki
- Everton-Owned Winger Onyekuru Likeliest Loan Destination Revealed
- 'We Don't Have Stars Like Okocha, Kanu & Amokachi' - Rohr Admits No Marquee Players In Eagles AFCON Squad
- Braintree Town Snap Up Nigerian Midfielder Cole Who Was On Crystal Palace, Millwall Radar
- 'He Is From A Different Planet' - Mikel Picks Messi Over Ronaldo
- Nigeria vs Burundi : What Super Eagles Must Do To Defeat Unpredictable Debutant
- Done Deal : Third Highest-Scoring Nigerian In Bundesliga History Joins FC Union Berlin
- Ighalo Highlights The Key Qualities Of Super Eagles 'Legend' Obi Mikel
- Man City Beat Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund To Sign Nigerian Winger
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football