Rohr Reveals Why Super Eagles Don't Want To Be The Favorites To Win 2019 AFCONPublished: April 10, 2019
Gernot Rohr has revealed that the Super Eagles don't want to be among the favorites to win the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations, as it would put unnecessary pressure on the team.
With the three-time African champions only ranked the third best team in Africa by FIFA, the former Bordeaux manager has reiterated that hosts Egypt and fellow North Africans Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia are the teams to beat at the AFCON.
Nigeria are one of the most successful countries in Africa Cup of Nations country with fourteen appearances in the semifinals, level with Ghana, and only Egypt have a better record.
''We had the youngest team at the World Cup but we learned a lot,'' Rohr told Gold FM Bordeaux Métropole via girondins4ever.com.
''We have found other young players including Samuel Kalu, he will soon come back, I hope for Bordeaux and Nigeria. We have just played two matches, we qualified for the AFCON since November.''
The German continued : ''Nobody wants to be favorite of this competition, it is always a particular pressure. We are not, we are number three in Africa, when I arrived we were in the 13th rank.
''I believe there are other teams like Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Senegal, and Egypt who will have their say.''
Football News 24/7
- Ukraine Coach Shevchenko Names West Ham, Man City, Celtic Stars In Squad For Nigeria Friendly
- Hoogewerf Makes Full Debut As Manchester United Suffer First League Loss At All Levels
- Done Deal : Scottish Champions Celtic Sign Talented Nigerian Striker
- New Aston Villa Signing Udanoh Center Of Three-Wag Tug Of War Between Nigeria, England & USA
- Chelsea Fan Peter Psquare Watches Chukwueze Open His Account For The Season In Spain
- Everton Winger Alex Iwobi Names Nigeria Legend As His Childhood Hero
- Nigerian Exports : Villarreal's Chukwueze, Bordeaux's Maja, Wycombe Wanderers' Onyedinma Score For Clubs
- Aston Villa Beat Liverpool, West Ham, Wolves To The Signing Of Promising Center Back
- Celtic, Rangers, West Ham Battling To Sign Nigerian Winger From Chelsea
- Fortuna Düsseldorf's Okoye Battling To Be Fit For Friendly Vs Ukraine After Operation
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football