'Collins Is A Player With A German Mentality' - Rohr Offers Highest Possible Praise For 'Very Important' Super EaglePublished: July 21, 2019
Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr has offered the highest possible praise for Paderborn 07 left-back Jamilu Collins, saying he is a 'very important' member of the senior national team and likened him to a German player due to the hard work he puts in in training.
At the recently concluded Africa Cup of Nations, Collins had to wait until the quarterfinal before making his debut in the competition after suffering an injury in the final training session before the opener against Burundi,
With Elderson Echiejile finding himself clubless after the 2018 World Cup, Brian Idowu struggling to get games at Lokomotiv Moscow and Tyronne Ebuehi suffering a long-term injury, Collins was handed his maiden Nigeria call-up for an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Seychelles in September last year.
Asked how important Collins is to the Super Eagles, Rohr told Sport1 : ''Very important. This is a player who is offensively and defensively very strong. His left foot is very valuable to us - in a team where there are hardly any left-footers.
''I followed all the great games with Paderborn and I was very happy for him and his colleagues for the promotion.
''Collins is a player with a German mentality: He is a tough, serious worker who also does extra sessions on days off and after practice. That is good for all of Africa. ''
Rohr added : Collins had suffered a slight muscle injury in the final session before his first game against Burundi and had to rest for a few days.
''But then he needed to get back into the team. Although it is difficult to change a successful team. I did it anyway and he honored it with his very good playing style. I am glad that he is with us.''
Two years ago, Collins was playing in the third tier of German football but is in line to make his Bundesliga debut next month which is a testament to the giant strides he has made in his career.
Football News 24/7
- Bordeaux's Super Eagles Winger Rated Worst Player On Pitch After Duel With Neymar, Mbappe
- Bukayo Saka Hype Reaches Fever Pitch As Barcelona, Man Utd Legends Jump On The Bandwagon
- Impossible To Snub : Dessers Sends Message To Rohr With 18th Goal Ahead Of Squad Announcement
- Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool Suffer Blow In Pursuit Of Lille Goal Poacher Osimhen
- Everton's Iwobi Receives Standing Ovation From Arsenal Fans On His Return To The Emirates
- Arsenal Coach Arteta Hails Saka For Offensive Contribution Against Everton
- Rangers Coach Gerrard Frustrated After Draw Vs St. Johnstone Despite Aribo's Heroics
- Mikel Arteta Explains Why He Benched Arsenal New Hero Saka Against Everton
- 'He Was Unfortunate Not To Score Against Chelsea' - Ex-Man Utd Defender On Ighalo Being An Impact Player
- Coronavirus : No Italian Serie A Action For Chelsea Product Aina And Victor Moses
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football