WAFU-UFOA Zone B Nigeria 1 Ivory Coast 1 : 10-Man Flying Eagles Throw Away Lead At The DeathPublished: December 06, 2020
Nigeria began their quest to qualify for the 2021 Africa U20 Cup of Nations by playing out a 1-1 draw with Ivory Coast at the Stade Charles de Gaulle, Porto-Novo on Sunday afternoon, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.
With John Amah unavailable for selection due to injury, manager Ladan Bosso opted for Kolawale Oladipo in goal with Mike Zaruma, Moses Solomon, Isaiah Ejeh and Christopher Nwaeze starting at the back.
Adewale Oladoye, Azeez Oseni and Muhammad Abdallah started in midfield while Chisom Orji, Wisdom Ubani and Peter Olawale occupied the attacking positions.
The Flying Eagles had a good first half but were not clinical enough to break the deadlock; Olawale and Chris Nwaeze both missed gilt-edged chances.
Just past the hour mark, the Ivory Coast goalkeeper could not prevent Nwaeze from opening the scoring as he headed home from an Ubani free-kick.
The Flying Eagles had a mountain to climb to secure a win after Nwaeze was dismissed for a second bookable offense in the 69th minute, shortly after Ubani missed a clear chance to double the advantage.
The red card unsettled the Flying Eagles and they could not hang on to their 1-0 lead as Ivory Coast equalised in the first minute of stoppage time.
Nigeria will battle Ghana in their second and final Group B match of the WAFU-UFOA Zone B qualifiers on Wednesday, December 9.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Red-hot Tottenham Hotspur striker Etete hoping to catch Mourinho's Eye
- Manchester United product Kehinde reveals what he must do to break into Super Eagles squad
- Awoniyi's Super Eagles hopes go up in smoke as Union Berlin coach confirms striker is unavailable
- Nigeria-eligible defender tipped to depart Arsenal in summer, after thirteen years of service
- Super Eagles defender Balogun undergoes late fitness test ahead of Glasgow Rangers vs St Mirren
- Nigeria And Napoli handed Osimhen injury boost as striker receives medical green light
- Rodgers reveals Iheanacho will be important for Leicester City in last eleven Premier League games
- Balogun fit enough to make bench, Azeez returns from injury as Arsenal, Southampton B play out draw
- Leicester coach hints at permitting Iheanacho, Ndidi to link up with Super Eagles for AFCONQ
- Photo Confirmation : Chelsea-reared midfielder Musiala inks new contract with Bayern Munich
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football