Chelsea icon Mikel reveals he fell out with Conte over opting to represent Nigeria in Olympic Games
Published: March 23, 2021
Chelsea icon John Obi Mikel has revealed that he was forced to quit the Stamford Bridge outfit by the then manager Antonio Conte over his decision to represent Nigeria in the 2016 Olympic Games.
It was a competition Mikel desperately wanted to feature in as he had previously played for the country at the U17, U20 and senior World Cups and the midfielder has stressed that he had the blessing of Chelsea higher-ups to link up with the Dream Team VI.
Upon his return from Brazil, where he won a bronze medal with Nigeria, Conte froze him out of the matchday squads both for the Premier League and Carabao Cup, so he didn't think twice about joining a new team few months later when the transfer market reopened.
"This guy who has just walked in the door for five minutes is telling me I had to choose," Mikel said to the Athletic.
"He was saying, ‘If you do that, you won’t be a part of this team’.
"I spoke to the club and told them that I wanted to go.
"The club respected me because of what I had done for them and how long I’d been there.
"So off I went and I felt punished for that. I came back and I didn’t make the squad. I was never in the squad list on match days again."
"He was saying, ‘If you do that, you won’t be a part of this team’.
"I spoke to the club and told them that I wanted to go.
"The club respected me because of what I had done for them and how long I’d been there.
"So off I went and I felt punished for that. I came back and I didn’t make the squad. I was never in the squad list on match days again."
In a ten-and-a-half-year association with Chelsea, Mikel recorded 372 appearances, winning
the Premier League twice, the FA Cup four times, the League Cup twice,
and the Champions League and Europa League too.
Ifeanyi Emmanuel
Copyright ANS
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Ifeanyi Emmanuel
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Latest News
- 'Two positions' - Wolves boss wants reinforcements in attack and midfield amid links with Nigeria duo
- Galatasaray equal two club records as Osimhen delivers in Rizespor clash
- Tough day for Crystal Palace loanee: Goodman sent off in milestone 100th senior game
- 'Great delivery' – Ex-Leeds forward hails Onyeka for assist in Brentford's loss to Sunderland
- Nigeria-eligible defender scores on Werder Bremen debut two days after joining from Leeds
- Not just Chukwueze and Otele: Fulham add another Nigerian to winger shortlist
- 'An exciting player' – Former PL defender urges Chelsea to keep George after Delap's injury
- Man Utd legend blames Bassey and another Fulham player for Chelsea's first home goal of season
- Real Sociedad striker Sadiq pushes for Valencia loan move after Super Eagles omission
- 'Iwobi is the star man' – Sky Sports journalist backs Fulham ace to play key role v Chelsea


News Categories
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Bundesliga
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Casinos not on Gamstop
- Nigeria Premier League
- Vsbet
- F168
- F168
- MB88
- keo nha cai
- Norwegian Football
- Football Betting
- Polish Football
- VT88
- VT88
- sunwin
- sunwin
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Transfer
- Turkish Championship
- 1Win
- Ukrainian Football
- Uncategorized
- Women's Football
- SHBET
- F168
- F168
- F168
- F168
- hi88