2024 Olympic qualifier: Three hits and three flops from Super Falcons goalless draw against CameroonPublished: February 23, 2024
In a tense showdown between Nigeria's Super Falcons and Cameroon's Lionesses in the Olympic third-round qualifiers, fans were left on the edge of their seats as the match ended in a stalemate, with neither side managing to break the deadlock. However, amid the disappointment of a goalless draw, certain players stood out for their stellar performances, while others failed to make their mark on the pitch.
Allnigeriasoccer.com takes a look at three hits and three flops from the Falcons's disappointing draw against the lionesses of Cameroon.
1. Osinachi Ohale:
The experienced defender, Osinachi Ohale, showcased her defensive prowess, thwarting numerous attacking threats from the Cameroon side.
Ohale's timely tackles and composure under pressure were instrumental in keeping the Lionesses at bay throughout the match.
2. Jennifer Echegini:
In midfield, Jennifer Echegini proved to be a key player for the Super Falcons, providing a goal threat from midfield despite coming on as a substitute.
The Juventus midfielder's eye for goal and knackered for creating chances in attack provided a sense of attacking prowess for the Nigerian side on the Night.
3. Christy Ucheibe:
Another standout performer for the Super Falcons was midfielder Christy Ucheibe, whose tenacity and work rate were unmatched on the pitch.
Ucheibe's relentless energy allowed her to cover ground effectively whilst making decisive tackles and interceptions, breaking up opposition attacks and initiating counter-attacks for Nigeria.
1. Toni Payne:
Although the Sevilla midfielder was played out of position on the night, Toni Payne failed to make an impact on the match, struggling to find space and create scoring opportunities for the Super Falcons.
Payne's lackluster performance in the final third left fans frustrated as she squandered Nigeria's best chance to snatch a victory in the first half.
2. Asisat Oshoala
The reigning CAF Women's Player of the year had a disappointing outing against Cameroon, failing to find the back of the net for the Super Falcons on the night amidst several opportunities.
Oshoala's subdued performance was a disappointment for fans and raised questions about her form heading into the crucial second leg of the qualifiers.
3. Rasheedat Ajibade
Atletico Madrid widewoman Rasheedat Ajibade endured a frustrating evening, as she struggled to impose herself on the game and failed to create clear-cut opportunities for the goal hungry Oshoala to pounce on. Ajibade's off day in general hindered Nigeria's attacking threat and contributed to the team's inability to secure a vital away goal.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Three hits and three flops from Super Falcons goalless draw against Cameroon
- Super Falcons player ratings: Echegini makes a statement; Ohale evergreen; Nnadozie safe hands; Oshoala struggles
- Oshoala frustrated to be substituted and four other takeaways from Super Falcons draw v Cameroon
- Cameroon 0 Nigeria 0: Echegini's goal ruled out as Super Falcons forced to goalless draw in Olympic qualifier
- Troost-Ekong namechecks two Super Eagles players behind his decision not to quit national team pre-AFCON
- 'One of the best players in the world' - Saudi Pro League target Troost-Ekong fancies playing with Ronaldo
- Ohale v Onguene: The key battle that could decide Super Falcons' clash against Indomitable Lionesses
- Super Eagles-eligible striker tight-lipped on future amid Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United links
- Seamless betting: How to use a single bonus across casino and sports
- Everything you need to know about Super Falcons mouthwatering clash against Indomitable Lionesses
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football