Ex-Liverpool Striker Diouf Tips Egypt; Warns Nigeria, Senegal Of Difficult AFCONPublished: May 19, 2019
Former Liverpool striker El Hadji Diouf believes hosts Egypt could be the team to beat when the continent's best 24 teams battle for the Africa Cup of Nations title.
Diouf who was the winner of the 2002 African Footballer of the Year award is in Nigeria with the crème de la crème of the finest players in Africa of the 90s and 2000s that played a novelty game with the Nigerian legends that featured Nwankwo Kanu, Austin Okocha, Daniel Amokachi, Samson Siasia, Finidi Grorge, Emmanuel Amunike, Uche Okechukwu, Austin Eguaavoen and others to celebrate Lagos state governor Akinwunmi Ambode whose tenure ends on May 29.
"First I want to commend the changes we've witnessed in CAF. They are doing a fine job. I like the changes and innovations in CAF," the former Senegal international told All Nigeria Soccer.
"Talking about the AFCON in Egypt, there are so many good teams that will be at the Nations Cup. Nigeria can win it just like any other country. It will be difficult with 24 teams playing time around.
"I cannot say this team or that team will win this tournament but we know that whenever Egypt hosts the AFCON, they win it.
"Its just in the history of the tournament, they may win or not win but honestly the team that will win the AFCON must be mentally strong because there are so many good teams this year. It will be difficult," El Hadji Diouf stressed.
The 2019 Africa Cup of Nations will hold between June 21 and July 19, 2019.
Football News 24/7
- Iwobi Discusses That Sensational Goal Against Chelsea In Europa League Final
- Top Six Players Who Would Surely Get Their Chances With The Super Eagles After AFCON
- The Four Key Players In Super Eagles Africa Cup of Nations Squad
- The Eight Clubs Interested In Signing Former Arsenal Striker Aneke
- Confirmed : Scottish Giants Rangers Loan In Sheyi Ojo From Liverpool
- Official : Former Super Eagles Invitee Noah Bazee Joins FC Augsburg
- Leon Balogun Or Omeruo? Troost-Ekong Quizzed On His Best Defensive Partner
- Prolific Nigerian Striker Departs Manchester United, Rejects New Deal
- Five Nigerian Stars Linked With Moves To Premier League Clubs
- Super Eagles Hit By Sickness Bug; Hold First Training Session In Alexandria 1700 Hours
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football