Ex-Liverpool Striker Diouf Tips Egypt; Warns Nigeria, Senegal Of Difficult AFCONPublished: May 19, 2019
Former Liverpool striker El Hadji Diouf believes hosts Egypt could be the team to beat when the continent's best 24 teams battle for the Africa Cup of Nations title.
Diouf who was the winner of the 2002 African Footballer of the Year award is in Nigeria with the crème de la crème of the finest players in Africa of the 90s and 2000s that played a novelty game with the Nigerian legends that featured Nwankwo Kanu, Austin Okocha, Daniel Amokachi, Samson Siasia, Finidi Grorge, Emmanuel Amunike, Uche Okechukwu, Austin Eguaavoen and others to celebrate Lagos state governor Akinwunmi Ambode whose tenure ends on May 29.
"First I want to commend the changes we've witnessed in CAF. They are doing a fine job. I like the changes and innovations in CAF," the former Senegal international told All Nigeria Soccer.
"Talking about the AFCON in Egypt, there are so many good teams that will be at the Nations Cup. Nigeria can win it just like any other country. It will be difficult with 24 teams playing time around.
"I cannot say this team or that team will win this tournament but we know that whenever Egypt hosts the AFCON, they win it.
"Its just in the history of the tournament, they may win or not win but honestly the team that will win the AFCON must be mentally strong because there are so many good teams this year. It will be difficult," El Hadji Diouf stressed.
The 2019 Africa Cup of Nations will hold between June 21 and July 19, 2019.
Football News 24/7
- England, Nigeria Or Uganda? Arsenal Young Star Reveals National Team He Wants To Represent
- Nigerian Winger Rescues Draw For Manchester United In Friendly Against Hertha Berlin II
- Why Lookman Did Not Feature In RB Leipzig's 2-1 Victory Over Benfica
- Arsenal Goalkeeper Ejeheri Targets October Return From Injury
- UCL Wrap : Club Brugge's Okereke, Dennis Start In Goalless Draw; Lokomotiv's Idowu Cameo, Dinamo's Iyayi Benched
- Saka Named In Arsenal's Provisional Squad Vs Eintracht Frankfurt; 6 Eligible Nigerians Miss Out
- Salzburg's Haaland Equals Champions League Record Held By Yakubu And 6 Players
- Slavia's Olayinka Gets A 10/10 Rating After Scoring Vs Inter Milan, Reacts To Maiden UCL Goal
- Former Chelsea Wonderkid Named In Nigeria's Provisional Squad For U17 World Cup
- Tottenham Rising Star Overtakes Ola Aina As Nigeria's All-time Highest Appearance Maker In UYL
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football