Alexander-Arnold Set To Make Champions League Final History : Finidi Holds Nigerian RecordPublished: May 21, 2019
Liverpool fullback Trent Alexander-Arnold will create history if he starts for the Reds in their Champions League final against Tottenham Hotspur on June 1, 2019.
Born 7 October 1998, the right-back would become the first ever player aged under 21 to start consecutive finals in Europe’s premier club competition.
Italian defender Christian Panucci currently holds the record for the youngest player to start in two consecutive Champions League finals, starting for AC Milan against Barcelona and Ajax Amsterdam in 1994 and 1995 respectively.
Panucci was aged 22 years and 42 days when he started against Ajax at Ernst-Happel-Stadion, Vienna on May 24, 1995.
The youngest Nigerian player to start in two consecutive Champions League finals is Finidi George, who went the distance for Ajax Amsterdam against AC Milan and Juventus in 1995 and 1996 respectively.
The former Super Eagles winger was aged 25 years and 37 days when he started against Juventus twenty-three years ago.
Former Ajax Amsterdam star Nwankwo Kanu was still a teenager when he featured in his second consecutive Champions League finals vs Juventus, a record that can never be broken by Trent Alexander-Arnold.
The Nigerian striker was a second half substitute against Milan in the 1995 final, before starting against Juventus the following year.
Photo Credit : twitter.com/OfficialFinidi
Football News 24/7
- Femi Azeez Joins Reading; Younger Brother To Sign New Arsenal Deal On Friday
- England, Nigeria Or Uganda? Arsenal Young Star Reveals National Team He Wants To Represent
- Nigerian Winger Rescues Draw For Manchester United In Friendly Against Hertha Berlin II
- Why Lookman Did Not Feature In RB Leipzig's 2-1 Victory Over Benfica
- Arsenal Goalkeeper Ejeheri Targets October Return From Injury
- UCL Wrap : Club Brugge's Okereke, Dennis Start In Goalless Draw; Lokomotiv's Idowu Cameo, Dinamo's Iyayi Benched
- Saka Named In Arsenal's Provisional Squad Vs Eintracht Frankfurt; 6 Eligible Nigerians Miss Out
- Salzburg's Haaland Equals Champions League Record Held By Yakubu And 6 Players
- Slavia's Olayinka Gets A 10/10 Rating After Scoring Vs Inter Milan, Reacts To Maiden UCL Goal
- Former Chelsea Wonderkid Named In Nigeria's Provisional Squad For U17 World Cup
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football