Early Team News Nigeria Vs Guinea : Iwobi May Take Over Playmaking Duties From Mikel, Musa Left WingerPublished: June 25, 2019
The deployment of influential John Obi Mikel as the Super Eagles playmaker against Burundi did not pay off for Gernot Rohr's side, so much so that the Chelsea legend was substituted 12 minutes into the second half.
The German football tactician hinted today that Alex Iwobi could take over playmaking duties from Mikel, a change that would see Ahmed Musa deployed as a left winger.
''We have options to change our midfield of course, like you saw we brought Alex Iwobi in the midfield and we brought Musa on the left wing. This is one option,'' said Rohr to reporters.
''We also have John Ogu who is fit again after his sickness, he had fever and was very weak but he's fit again.''
With several players classed as strikers in the Super Eagles squad, Rohr has hinted that he may use the 4-4-2 formation against the Syli Stars.
''We have the opportunity to play 4-4-2 with two center forwards. We have Henry, Osimhen, we have choices in the offensive department and offensive midfield.
''It is my job now to find a solution to choose the best players but sometimes you know the players coming from the bench can also make a difference, that's what happened in the last game.
''With the hot weather it will be interesting to have fresh players coming in and bring in players in the last 20 minutes when you have spaces,'' he concluded.
Rohr has confirmed that Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers top scorer Odion Ighalo will definitely start against Guinea, and has suggested that Daniel Akpeyi will continue in goal while Chidozie Awaziem and Ola Aina are in line to be selected to replace the injured Abdullahi Shehu and Jamilu Collins.
Football News 24/7
- 'A Lot Of Historic Players (Zidane) Of French Football Came From Here' -Ex-Sunderland Star Maja On Why He Joined Bordeaux
- Former Manchester United Starlet Kehinde Inching Closer To Pro Debut
- 26-Goal Hitman Could Be The Solution To Chelsea's Striker Problems
- 'New Aubameyang' Nets Maiden Goal For Club Brugge Ahead Of Season Opener
- Reading Move For Former Nigeria U17 Invitee Gathers Pace
- FC Midtjylland's Okosun Nets Winner; Sogndal's Adams Bags Brace
- Chelsea Handed Fitness Boost Pre-Barcelona As Abraham Returns To Training
- Photo Confirmation : Nigeria International Striker Joins Korean Club Jeju United
- 'I Hope We Sign World Class Players' - Iwobi Denies Quit Reports
- 'Collins Is A Player With A German Mentality' - Rohr Offers Highest Possible Praise For 'Very Important' Super Eagle
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football