Early Team News Nigeria Vs Guinea : Iwobi May Take Over Playmaking Duties From Mikel, Musa Left WingerPublished: June 25, 2019
The deployment of influential John Obi Mikel as the Super Eagles playmaker against Burundi did not pay off for Gernot Rohr's side, so much so that the Chelsea legend was substituted 12 minutes into the second half.
The German football tactician hinted today that Alex Iwobi could take over playmaking duties from Mikel, a change that would see Ahmed Musa deployed as a left winger.
''We have options to change our midfield of course, like you saw we brought Alex Iwobi in the midfield and we brought Musa on the left wing. This is one option,'' said Rohr to reporters.
''We also have John Ogu who is fit again after his sickness, he had fever and was very weak but he's fit again.''
With several players classed as strikers in the Super Eagles squad, Rohr has hinted that he may use the 4-4-2 formation against the Syli Stars.
''We have the opportunity to play 4-4-2 with two center forwards. We have Henry, Osimhen, we have choices in the offensive department and offensive midfield.
''It is my job now to find a solution to choose the best players but sometimes you know the players coming from the bench can also make a difference, that's what happened in the last game.
''With the hot weather it will be interesting to have fresh players coming in and bring in players in the last 20 minutes when you have spaces,'' he concluded.
Rohr has confirmed that Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers top scorer Odion Ighalo will definitely start against Guinea, and has suggested that Daniel Akpeyi will continue in goal while Chidozie Awaziem and Ola Aina are in line to be selected to replace the injured Abdullahi Shehu and Jamilu Collins.
Football News 24/7
- Okoye On Why He Chose Nigeria Over Germany, Super Eagles Training, Competition With GKs
- Recovery Session For Super Eagles Starters Vs Benin Iwobi, Ndidi, Ajayi; Musa Trains Fully
- Fenerbahce Looking To Send Victor Moses Back To Chelsea In January
- FC Midtjylland Latest Club To Pass Up Chance To Sign Golden Eagles Striker
- AFCONQ: Musa On Starting On The Bench Against Benin; Rohr Shares Advice From Substantive Captain
- Cypriot Club Move Ahead Of Brentford In Race For Former Nigeria U23 Invitee
- AFCONQ: Ahmed Musa Fears For Some Super Eagles Stars Ahead Of Trip To Lesotho
- 'The Quality We Have Abroad Is Higher' - Rohr Writes Off NPFL Players Chances Of Playing For Eagles
- Rohr Gives Reasons Why He Cap-tied Glasgow Rangers Star In AFCONQ Vs Benin
- How Leicester, Everton, Bordeaux, Lille, Paderborn Reacted To Super Eagles First Post-AFCON Win
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football