Omeruo Named In Whoscored AFCON 2019 Team Of The Tournament; Ighalo Makes CAF Best XIPublished: July 20, 2019
Only one Nigerian player has been selected by Whoscored.com in its 2019 Africa Cup of Nations Team of the Tournament.
According to the football statistics expert, Chelsea defender Kenneth Omeruo was among the best two central defenders in the recently concluded competition staged in Egypt.
In a 4-4-2 formation, the Nigeria number 22 partnered Morocco's Romain Saiss in central defence.
Omeruo, who had a whoscored rating of 7.40, scored the winning goal in the 1-0 victory vs Guinea and provided an assist in the 3-2 win vs Cameroon in the round of 16.
The 25-year-old and Chelsea Academy product Ola Aina had the highest number of interceptions (15) at the AFCON.
He averaged 2.2 tackles, 2.5 interceptions, 5 clearances and 0.5 blocks per game.
Omeruo won his 50th cap for the Super Eagles in their 2-1 win against South Africa on July 10 in Cairo.
Meanwhile, Odion Ighalo was included in the official Confederation of African Football Best XI unveiled on Saturday evening.
The former Watford man, who registered five goals to win the Golden Boot, led the attack in a 4-3-3 formation and was flanked by Riyad Mahrez and Sadio Mane.
Football News 24/7
- Arsenal Interim Coach Ljungberg Explains Why Saka Was Upset With Him Before Standard Liege Tie
- 'Saka Is Genuinely What Chelsea Fans Think CHO Is' - Fans Hail Arsenal Creator After Goal & Assist
- Dinamo's Iyayi Misses Chance To Show Off To Chelsea, Liverpool, Wolves, Barca, 10 Other Euro Teams
- UEL: Teenage Nigerian Midfielder Makes Arsenal Matchday 18 For The First Time In Career
- QPR Star Who Wants To Play For Nigeria Explains Thinking Behind Wonder Goal Vs Birmingham
- African Giants Al Ahly Suffer Blow In Pursuit Of Blessing Eleke
- Sky Sports Pundit Names The Nigerian Player Likely To Start For Arsenal Vs Standard Liege
- Super Eagles Winger Needs 5 More Goals Or 9 Games To Become A Permanent Nantes Player
- 'He Can Play At The Three Front Positions' - Rohr Impressed By Versatility Of Bordeaux Striker Maja
- Top 5 Youngest Nigerian Players To Score In Champions League As Barcelona's Fati Makes History
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football