Speaking after the friendly between the Super Eagles and Seleção das Quinas on Thursday night, Nigeria manager Jose Peseiro has named two countries he believes are the main contenders to win the 2022 World Cup which begins in Qatar on Sunday.
Peseiro has picked his country Portugal and defending champions France as the front runners to win the 2022 World Cup.
Portugal have in their ranks some of the best players in the world including Cristiano Ronaldo, Bernardo Silva and Bruno Fernandes and have been handed a favorable group, with Ghana, Uruguay and South Korea their opponents in Group H.
France are aiming to become only the third country to win back-to-back World Cups after Italy and Brazil, and will be counting on Kylian Mbappe, Ousmane Dembélé, Antoine Griezmann, Karim Benzema and Marcus Thuram to deliver the goods.
On Portugal's chances at the World Cup, Peseiro told reporters : "I think it's the best generation. Even because of age, experience, the leagues they play in. For me it is the best Portuguese team.
"But with this comparison: we already had great teams, but they didn't play in the leagues where these elements play. Previous generations didn't have that strength, most played in Portugal.
"They didn't have that upgrade, to play at that level. At the moment the Portuguese players are there. They're as good as any we've ever had, but they play for the best teams in the world, they're not afraid to play against anybody.
"The individual quality of these players is tremendous, and so is the competitive level. Our coaches and players did not have this dimension.
"That's why I say it's the selection with more solutions and more quality. Apart from France, which may be the most favorite, there's no one else you can say that to. Being world champion is more open."
Portugal, without their ill talismanic captain Ronaldo, thrashed Nigeria 4-0 in their last game before their World Cup opener against Ghana, courtesy of goals from Bruno Fernandes (2), Gonçalo Ramos and João Mário.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'More popular than Wizkid', 'Saka for Golden Boot', What a goal' - Nigerians applaud England winger
- World Cup 2022 : Akinfenwa predicts England will beat Senegal 2-1 and Kane will score
- Arsenal boss Arteta takes two Flying Eagles-eligible players to Dubai for training camp
- Opinion : Why Fulham central defender Tosin should choose Nigeria over England
- Two Nigeria-eligible players named in Man Utd travelling squad for training camp in Spain
- Official : Udinese tie down 2013 U17 World Cup-winning striker to new deal
- Leicester City reveal why Super Falcons defender missed 8-0 loss to Chelsea
- Chelsea urged to re-sign 2022 World Cup star of Nigerian descent
- Battle of Lions : Bolton legend Okocha insists Senegal have what it takes to beat England
- Arsenal handed boost in pursuit of African winger
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football