PL2 : History maker Ozoh helps Crystal Palace beat Liverpool a day after first team debutPublished: January 22, 2023
Valencia-born Nigerian midfielder David Ozoh was on U21 duties on Sunday afternoon as Crystal Palace secured a 1-0 win over Liverpool in a Premier League 2 meeting at Liverpool’s Academy Ground in Merseyside.
Born May 6, 2005, Ozoh made Premier League history on Saturday evening when he replaced Odsonne Edouard in the 90th minute of Crystal Palace's goalless draw with Newcastle United.
Aged, 17 years and 260 days, the highly-rated defensive midfielder became the youngest-ever player to represent Crystal Palace in the Premier League, breaking the record previously held by former Super Eagles invitee George Ndah.
Ozoh started for the Eagles against Liverpool U21s a day after his first team debut and he was joined in the starting lineup by four other Nigeria-eligible players in goalkeeper Owen Goodman, Tayo Adaramola, David Omilabu and Victor Akinwale.
Akinwale gave Crystal Palace a dream start, scoring inside five minutes after he was teed up by Adaramola, and he had the ball in the back of the net again eight minutes later but it was ruled out for offside.
Akinwale almost doubled the advantage after latching onto a kick from Goodman but couldn't chip the Liverpool goalkeeper, while Omilabu missed a chance to extend the lead in the second half.
Ozoh has made 12 Premier League 2 starts this season and has also represented Crystal Palace youth teams in the U18 Premier League, FA Youth Cup, Premier League International Cup, Premier League Cup and Papa Johns Trophy.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Official : Newly capped Norway U20 winger with Nigerian passport joins Bodo/Glimt
- Report : Spartak make transfer decision on ex-Chelsea star Moses ahead of summer window
- Lens join Brentford in race to sign defender who impressed for Super Eagles v Guinea-Bissau
- Done deal : Glasgow Rangers confirm signing of 2023 Flying Eagles invitee
- Balogun's international future : Arsenal boss Arteta shares advice to Super Eagles-eligible striker
- Dennis' chip against Newcastle up for Nottingham Forest Goal of the Month
- Nigeria-eligible striker joins Southampton on pro terms after trialing at Chelsea, Man Utd
- How is Man United prospect Shoretire performing on loan at Bolton?
- Arsenal tracking 25-cap Nigeria international as potential replacement for Balogun
- Another Nigerian player battling to overcome injury ahead of Italian Serie A return
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football